If you’re struggling to get a good night’s sleep, reaching for your essential oils can often turn things around. Many essential oils are hugely calming and relaxing and can help your mind and body for sleep.
Lavender probably springs to mind as an obvious choice, right? It’s been researched a lot and is a major feature in many aromatherapy based sleep aids. According to research from the University of Southampton, people who diffused lavender oil in the run up to bedtime reported a 20% improvement in their sleep patterns.
It’s not your only choice though. Other essential oils that can promote better sleep include:
- Bergamot – Bergamot oil helps blood pressure and heart rate to decrease in preparation for sleep.
- Ylang ylang – Ylang ylang can be hugely calming.
- Valerian – Valerian is commonly included in sleep supplements and as an essential oil, it’s very effective at promoting sleep.
- Cedarwood – Cedarwood is an essential oil that has sedative qualities. And if you tend to wake up feeling groggy, the uplifting vibe can get you into a good headspace when you get up.
- Jasmine – Spend a ton of time every night tossing and turning? Try jasmine oil, especially if its anxiety related. According to some studies, it can be as effective as valerian for relaxing and calming.
- Geranium – Another essential oil with sedative properties, geranium is great for stress busting.
- Lemon – It may not be your first thought for sleep, but lemon oil can be soothing and calming for mind and body.
Do you toss and turn, worrying at night?
Learn all about managing moods and support your emotions with essential oils, while kicking stress, anxiety, and worry to the curb the natural way: