“When I am not working, I am still working” – can anyone relate? I know that my work not only takes up the physical time I spend typing away in front of the PC, but it also takes up a lot of headspaces. Sometimes work may crave so much attention that we forget the cherish the little things in life. So how can we ensure a proper work-life balance and truly look after our precious time and energy? What is an easy and simple way to care for our emotional wellbeing when your work swallows up so much of your time?
Mindfulness and meditation are effecting, calming tools that not only help you balance your career and your personal life. It also gives you more focus, energy, betters sleep, and so on. I am going to dive into five strategies you can start implementing today. If you are looking for a how-to guide on meditation, please check out the body scan technique right here – only a few minutes a day are enough for this one!
Try these strategies to achieve a healthy work-life balance using mindfulness and meditation:
- Cultivate feelings of peace and calmness. To make better decisions and work smarter, not harder, it’s important to be calm and composed. The method can be quite easy; a simple practice of meditation will do the trick.
- At least 15 minutes of meditation can make a huge difference in how we do things at our homes and offices.
- A sense of calmness gives confidence and enables you to start leaning and trust yourself, other people around you, and life in general.
- Calmness is a powerful tool that’ll make you feel better and make good choices about how you prioritize your time, energy, and attention, again resulting in a better work-life balance.
- Ask yourself some questions. What makes you lose your calm? How do your decisions turn out when you make them while rushed and stressed out of your mind? What actions can you implement to get more inner peace while working? In your personal life?
- Prioritize your mental and emotional wellbeing. Some people tend to pay more attention to their physical wellness than their emotional health. In fact, we often take our mind for granted. The result is that you let your mind control your life, instead of the other way around.
- What we experience in our lives is basically just an extension of our minds. Even though it may seem that our destiny is set in stone and that you are powerless, the truth is that you experience life the way you perceive it.
- Prioritizing your emotional wellbeing allows you to create your own desired outcome and balance it in a way that works perfectly for you. It usually takes daily mindfulness and meditation practice to become a mind-master, so set some time and dedication aside to incorporate it into your daily routine.
- Observe and express what you need. A huge part of all our built-up anger, frustration, stress, and pain in life is a result of neglecting our needs. When we work way too hard or too little, it affects our emotional wellbeing. Being aware of your needs causes better balance and more joy in your life.
- How do you neglect your needs in your workplace? What can you do to change that? Please rate your emotional wellbeing from 1-10 (1 being bad and 10 is excellent)? What can you do to boost your emotional health up to 10?
- Taking care of your needs and feeling balanced in life is essential for your body, mind, and spirit. Your energy levels increase, and you may start living a life aligned with your values, beliefs, and life purpose.
- Mindfulness enables you to respond instead of reacting.
- There’s a huge difference between responding to a situation, as opposed to lashing out. Reacting is setting your thoughts, feelings, and actions on autopilot and letting them determine what you do next. Responding to situations, on the other hand, is a conscious decision putting you in control.
- To respond means to be in control of your thoughts and behaviors. It helps you take the driver’s seat of your life and enables you to prioritize how you are living it, such as achieving a healthy work-life balance that won’t let you crash and burn in the long run.
- Practicing mindfulness enables you to respond and be present in the here and now as much as possible.
- Set time aside for self-care. Our job, colleagues, spouses, and children all need our attention, care, energy, and love. But where does your energy come from? How can we keep on giving if we do not take care of ourselves?
- If you want to be there for others, it’s crucial for you prioritize time for self-care: Slow down, unwind, and enjoy fun hobbies that renew your energy and happiness.
- “Self-care is never a selfish act – it is simply good stewardship of the only gift I have, the gift I was put on earth to offer others. Anytime we can listen to true self and give the care it requires, we do it not only for ourselves, but for the many others whose lives we touch.” ? Parker J. Palmer
Making your emotional wellbeing a priority and including a few of these mindful strategies may truly boost your work-life balance and put you in control of your life. Which one will you try first? Please let me know in the comments!