Creativity is one of the most powerful tools available to humans. Many of the world’s greatest challenges have been, and will be, solved by those that use their creativity to great effect. Do you think of yourself as “un-creative”? You’ll be surprised by just how much you can enhance, tap into, and learn to embody your creative flow.
All you need are a few tips, practice, and patience. We create something all the time, and I am not just talking about art. We create in our business when we set up plans and solve problems. We create our lives with our small everyday actions that make up the big picture. Just imagine what you could do with more creativity!
Here are some wayts to enhance your creativity and find more elegant solutions to life’s challenges:
- Ask a child for an opinion. Children often have brilliant ideas. You’ll have to reconsider the challenge to explain it clearly. This alone might spark new ideas. Children frequently have impractical solutions, but their ideas can open up new avenues of thought. Ask a child and listen to the answer.
- Journaling and free writing. Journaling is a great way to get into creative flow. I like to journal every morning and every evening. Don´t stress over what to write. Just write whatever flows into your mind. I often find that “braindumping” my old/repeating thoughts make room in my mind for inspiration and new ideas.
- Try to be creative early in the morning and late at night. Those periods of time just after awakening and just before falling asleep are special. Your conscious mind isn’t fully alert and your ability to think freely and imaginatively is enhanced. Take advantage of these two prime creativity periods each day.
- Suspend your judgment. One of the biggest obstacles to creativity is premature judgment. All your ideas and creations won’t be good. Consider all the possibilities before dismissing any of the available options.
- Surround yourself with creativity. Spend time in museums, art galleries, or at the symphony. Read great literary works. Spend time with artists.
- Come up with at least five new ideas each day. Great ideas are like great songs. You have to come up with a lot of them to discover a few hits. Keep your brain on the task by forcing yourself to be creative each day. You’ll be sure to find a few “hit” ideas each week. Would you like to earn more money? Ask yourself, “What are five ways I can earn at least x-dollars each month?”
- What ideas would you give a friend in the same situation? Remove yourself from the equation and you’ll find that ideas flow more freely. Imagine a friend in the same situation you’re currently experiencing. What would you tell him? What ideas do you have? You can uncover some of your best ideas this way.
- Take up yoga, work-out, go hiking, or do some other activity to get into your body. Reconnecting mind, body, and soul will let you tap into your creative flow more easily and help you re-energise. No-one can keep on creating on an emptiy battery.
- What would the most creative person you know do? Imagine what Thomas Edison would do or your very creative brother in law. Think about it and see what pops up.
- Try using the right side of your brain more. The left side of your brain controls the right side of your body. If you’re right-handed, right-footed, and your right eye is dominant, the right side of your brain might need a jumpstart. Try writing with your left hand or hopping on your left foot. Cover your right eye for a few minutes. Meditation can also increase activity in the right side of the brain, click here for my free in-depth no-option meditation guide.
You can enhance the level of creativity you enjoy each day. You’re only using a small part of your mental capabilities. You have creative capabilities that would amaze you. Develop your creative skills and see the world from a new perspective. You can be more creative today than you were yesterday.
Do you need some new ideas to get creative? Do you want to learn a new skill? Then I fully recommend Skilshare – yes, I am a proud affiliate, as I take the classes in here whenever I can! You can learn anything from creative writing to how to grow you Instagram account. Hit my link below to get two months of unlimited classes for free, cancel any time!